Jon Stephenson began his legal career at the Harris County District Attorney’s Office where he served as a chief prosecutor in the Felony Trial Bureau Division, Misdemeanor Division, Grand Jury Division, and Intake Division.
Jon also served as a Major Narcotics Prosecutor of the Special Crimes Major Offenders Division. As a prosecutor Jon oversaw the successful prosecutions of capital murderers, robbers, rapists, major narcotics traffickers, and drug and alcohol intoxication related offenders. While Jon was a prosecutor he taught many courses including Strategic Cross-Examination for the National District Attorney’s Association, Prosecutor Trial Skills for the Texas District and County Attorney’s Association, and taught classes on the topic of Search Warrants and the Code of Criminal Procedure at the Houston Police Department Academy.
Jon started his career as a criminal defense lawyer at Trichter & Murphy, P.C., one of the most prestigious DWI defense firms in Texas. As a lawyer at Trichter & Murphy, P.C. Jon spent many hours learning the law and science of DWI defense. However, Jon also maintained a healthy load of cases unrelated to DWI.
Since becoming a criminal defense lawyer Jon has successfully defended clients on charges of DWI, intoxication assault, aggravated robbery, possession of controlled substances, assault, environmental crimes and other various offenses. Jon also has experience defending individuals and companies under investigation by the Federal Government for White Collar Crimes.
Jon has also been retained in multiple civil matters by both individuals and companies who need an experienced trial lawyer. Trials are won by trial lawyers and Jon's courtroom experience has led to success in both civil and criminal matters.
Jon was trained by some of the most respected lawyers in Texas and has used that experience to gain recognition himself. Jon was named to the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers in both 2013 and 2014. He was also named to the Top 10 Criminal Defense Lawyers in Texas by the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys in 2014.
Jon Stephenson has the training and experience to fight for you.
- Harris County District Attorney’s Office, Houston, Texas (2002-2011)
- Felony Trial Bureau Division – (2006-2011)
- 351st District Court – Chief Prosecutor
- Intake Division – Chief Prosecutor
- Grand Jury Division – Chief Prosecutor
- Special Crimes/Major Offenders Division – (2008-2009) - Major Narcotics Prosecutor
- Misdemeanor Division – (2004-2006)
- Chief Prosecutor – County Criminal Court at Law No. 6
- Trichter & Murphy, P.C. – DWI Defense Law Firm – Associate – (2011-2014)
PROFESSIONAL TRIAL EXPERIENCE:Driving While Intoxicated, Capital Murder, Murder, Felony Murder, Assault, Aggravated Assault, Theft, Possession of Controlled Substances, Aggravated Robbery, Robbery, Manslaughter, Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child, Sexual Assault, and Injury to a Child.
- National District Attorney’s Association – Strategic Cross-Examination Training Course (2008)
- Texas District and County Attorney’s Association – Prosecutor Trial Skills Course (2008)
- Houston Police Department Academy – Code of Criminal Procedure Chapter 18 – Search Warrants (2011)
- Harris County Municipal Bar Association – Discovery and the Michael Morton Act – (2014)
- Texas DWI Defense Lawyers Association – Mastering DWI Defense – Boating While Intoxicated – (2014)
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE:
- State Bar of Texas (2004)
- United States District Court, Southern District Of Texas (2010)
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas, J.D. (2004)
- Graceland University, Lamoni, Iowa. B.A. English Literature, (Cum Laude) (1999-2001)
- Howard Payne University, Brownwood, Texas (1998-1999)
- Top 10 Criminal Defense Attorneys in Texas - The National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys – (2014)
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers – The National Trial Lawyers – (2013)
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers – The National Trial Lawyers – (2014)
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers – The National Trial Lawyers – (2016)